Homelessness in Los Angeles
According to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, the 2019 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count report indicated that people experiencing homelessness at point-in-time in the City of Los Angeles increased by 16%, while homelessness increased by 12% in the County of Los Angeles. In 2018, only 21, 631 people experiencing homelessness were placed in homes. The housing placements increased 23% from the year 2017 and more than doubled since 2014.
Real Economic Issues:
- Wages have not kept pace with rental cost
- 721,000 Los Angeles County households are severely rent-burdened
- Los Angeles needs 516, 946 new affordable housing units to meet the needs of low-income renters
Major Milestones that Help Tackle Inflow into Homelessness:
- Continual increase of affordable housing
- Place hard limits in rental increases
- Prevent unjust evictions
Additionally, senior homelessness increased by 8% in the year 2019. Twenty-nine percent of people experiencing homelessness report a serious mental illness and/or substance use disorder (LAHSA, 2019).
How Can You and B.A.R.E. TRUTH, INC. Become Part of the Solution?
Partner with B.A.R.E. Truth, Inc. to end homelessness today by:
- Volunteering your time to work directly with people experiencing homelessness is one the best avenues to learn about homelessness and help meet immediate needs. There is plenty work “behind the scenes” that you can be part of, such as: offering professional skills, organize an event, involve others, sort clothes, prepare food/sandwiches, help bag hygiene material, assist in outreach events, etc.
- Advocating with the Founder means working with people who are experiencing homelessness to bring about positive systemic (policies, programs, and language) changes needed to end homelessness and stereotypes.
- Contribute the following: clothing for job interviews, household goods, books, computers, survival kits, monetary support/donation, raise funds for B.A.R.E. Truth, Inc., and share the website: https://baretruthinc.org/welcome-1
A Look Back at Some B.A.R.E. TRUTH, INC. Efforts
B.A.R.E. TRUTH, INC. FOUNDER AND VOLUNTEERS SORTING AND PREPARING FOOD TO SERVE PEOPLE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS.
UPCOMING CALENDAR EVENTS – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
To Be Announced – Homeless / Skid Row Outreach. We will feed, provide water and pass out hygiene bags.
- Time: 9: 00 a.m. at the ‘B House’ to prepare food, then heading out to Skid Row at 11 a.m.
- Location: 6th and Wall St. (Skid Row); email B.A.R.E. Truth, Inc. for more information on itinerary.
- Items we need: turkey meat, cheese, socks, water, backpacks, hygiene products, blankets, nail clippers, hand towels, tents, adult clothes and adult shoes.
B.A.R.E. Truth, Inc. host events monthly and your support either in a monetary form or other donations is greatly appreciated. Please connect with us!! Can we count on you with a monthly monetary donation of $5, $10, $20, or more? Please note, ALL contributions help the clients we serve! JOIN US AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Please Sign Up or Donate, link available below. For those who would like to volunteer, but you are not able to, then donating is an option too!
DONATE AND CLICK HERE (EASY & SECURE):
- ALL YOUR DONATIONS ARE 100% TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
REASONS TO VOLUNTEER
- Be part of the solution – key to a life of happiness.
- Level up your passionate interest and skills – what are you passionate about?
- Pay-it-forward – practice gratefulness!
- Empower people to be their best selves – help others succeed!
- Create more positive experiences by – contributing time or money.
Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (2019). 2019 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count. https://www.lahsa.org/news?article=557-2019-greater-los-angeles-homeless-count-results
© 2019 B.A.R.E. TRUTH, INC. – Making copies or using of any part of the B.A.R.E. TRUTH News Blog or website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from B.A.R.E. TRUTH, INC.